Ingrown Toenail Treatment in Kolkata
Ingrown toenail is a condition caused when the nail grows and curls into the skin. It gets embedded in the skin and can cause moderate to severe issues as a result. Conditions caused by an ingrown toenail include:
- Swelling of the affected area
- Sharp pain in the toe
- Oversensitivity to any touch, pressure or stress
- Redness or swelling around the nail
- Inflammation or discharge around the nail
In grown toenails are usually extremely painful, where even the lightest touch can create a stabbing sensation and makes mobility difficult as a result. If you experience nail or foot pain, please call us at 03371646463 or book an online consultation.
Ingrown toenails may be caused by:
- Tight shoes that bunch up the toes – these put pressure on the nail and continued pressure can cause the nail to curve and embed inward.
- Incorrect nail cutting – cutting the nails too short can cause the nail to embed in the skin when it grows. On the other hand, if the nail is kept too long, it can curve and pierce the skin.
- Weight-bearing – For those who follow regular walking or running schedules, if the skin tissue around the toenail is soft, such activities can cause pressure on the nail and push it into the skin.
- Toe injury – trauma to the toe can cause the nail to curve or break off and embed in the skin. It is more susceptible if there is an open wound next to the toenail.
To prevent ingrown toenails, proper nail-cutting is needed. Also wearing comfortable shoes that do not put pressure on the toes may reduce the chances of ingrown toenails.
For diabetics, it is essential to consult a foot specialist on an urgent basis if they get an ingrown toenail. Ingrown toenails are like open wounds, and are very susceptible to infections that can worsen progressively.
For mild conditions of ingrowth, a splint, a small cotton bud or a dental floss may be used to create a gap between the nail and the underlying skin. Once the nail grows longer, it can grow out of the edge of the skin instead of remaining embedded. In this case, it is required to soak your feet in warm salt water to avoid bacteria formation. Antibacterial ointments can also be used till the time the toe is healed.
In case of severe nail ingrowths, a minor toenail surgery may be required, wherein the nail is surgically removed from the embedded skin. In certain cases, a small portion of the nail bed can also be removed in addition to the nail. In some cases, as a last resort, the entire toenail can be removed.
Oftentimes, antibiotics are prescribed in addition to the treatment to clear the infection and heal the wound. It is important to ensure that the treatment procedure is done in all cases by a registered podiatrist to avoid complications and ensure accuracy.