Using Foot Orthotics to Improve Walking DifficultiesNovember 22, 2019
Prosthesis – Hope to Lead a Quality LifeDecember 4, 2019
An ingrown toenail comes out when the edge of your toenail arches and expands into the encompassing surface of the skin. It leaves the person in pain; the area becomes red, and also experiences inflammation. The malady is very prevalent in both males and females. The big toe is most likely to be affected all the time. Some of the usual reasons for ingrown toenails are as follows-
- Toenail stubbing the toe
- Regularly wearing tight shoes
- Toenails too short
- Having an angle toenail
There is a well-said proverb that ‘prevention is better than cure’. Therefore, if you want to prevent your toenail from getting infected, you must know how to treat one in the right way. Cases may vary from being mild and severe, however, it depends on home remedies. If not taken care of properly, it might also lead to surgery.
Remedies for How to Fix Ingrown Toenail:
There are several ways in which you can do your own DIY treatment for ingrown toenails.
- Soak your nails in soapy and warm water: When you soak the nails in soapy water, it will first reduce swelling and gradually decrease the pain. For best results, use castile soap and add a pinch of Epsom salt.
- Use Apple cider vinegar: It is a kind of folk remedy for everything today. It has antiseptic properties, reduces inflammation. Add half cup apple cider and soak your nails for 20 minutes daily for optimum relief.
- Use dental floss/cotton: If possible, tuck small bits of cotton or dental floss (waxed) under the ingrown nail. It will enhance the growth towards the upper side. Though, it might enhance pain but will be beneficial later.
- Use ointment (antibiotic): Try using over-the-counter ointment can offer great relief and also eliminate infection risk. Read the manufacturer’s instructions and apply them accordingly.
- Always wear shoes and socks: Avoid the use of too-tight shoes or socks, which is one big factor behind ingrown toenails. To prevent, wear hosiery which fits and allows breathing space for the toenails.
- Consume pain reliever: You may take Acetaminophen or Paracetamol to get some relief. Side effects occur when you take the pill more than the prescribed over. If there is swelling, ibuprofen is the ideal option for treatment. Remember only take these pills if prescribed by the doctor.
- Buy a toe protector: A toe protector offers a barrier like a cushion for the nails, they look like rings and fits at the affected place covering the entire toe. You will also find medicated ones, as they help to expedite ingrown toenail treatment.
- Use a toe brace: Braces are ideally made of an adhesive which is thin and has a composite nature. It is glued to the top of the toenail and works as a shield. You can buy toe braces online or in any pharmacy near you.
- Go for nail removal: At times, when issues become highly severe and are out of control, home remedies might fall short. It is recommended to consult doctors and go for proper nail removal surgery. If you experience regular problems, it’s time to get a permanent solution.